Based in Wrocław, Poland
19 March 2013 - DoomRL 0.9.9.7
PC / Mac / Linux
Doom, the Roguelike is a parody roguelike RPG of classic first person shooter, Doom (the 1993 version!) It places a lone marine against hordes of demons in a blast through the Martian moon Phobos and Hell itself. Gameplay is fast and fluid, with simple controls allowing easy tactical decision-making. DoomRL transformed people’s ideas of what a roguelike could be, leading to the creation of a new breed of “coffeebreak roguelikes” - streamlined games that could be picked up and played with ease. It developed a cult fanbase and wide appeal amongst the roguelike community. Though originally an ASCII-only experience, a graphics pack for the game was designed by Derek Yu, creator of Spelunky.
DoomRL was originally released in 2002 as a small, experimental game. It gained immediate popularity and grew over the years, constantly improved with huge input from the ChaosForge community.
- Directional sound and music.
- Simple interface with few key commands.
- Progression system with balanced traits.
- Fast-paced gameplay.
- Over 25 levels including a final showdown with the Spider Mastermind and two hidden bosses.
- Numerous difficulty levels and challenge modes.
- Progress tracking, rating your ability as a player over multiple game sessions.
Doom RL Trailer YouTube
Indie Test Drive: DoomRL YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner of the Ascii Dreams Roguelike of the Year 2009" ASCII DREAMS, 1 January, 2010
- "The next time someone mocks me for wishing more games were turn-based, I may just say, “Doom was turn-based, after all, and that worked very well indeed”, denying all knowledge of any other version."
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Peanut butter and hamburger, teaching elementary school and being nude… there are many great things in this world that are NOT better together. But Doom and Roguelikes? Those are two great things that are incredible together."
- Derek Yu, TIGSource
- "DoomRL is, ultimately, an awesome little game that sets out to do one thing, and do it well. There is certainly room enough in the genre for something like that."
- John Harris, GameSetWatch
- "DoomRL is more than just a day's distraction. With 25 "mostly" randomised dungeons to explore, a text-based gore system(!?), classes and a crafting system, you could say it's Doom for serious role-players. The official Doom RPGs aren't bad but man, this absolutely beats the pants off them."
- Logan Booker, Kotaku Australia
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
DoomRL Is Now 90% Handsomer
By Craig Pearson - rockpapershotgun.com.
Doom has a roguelike, and it's likely you'll be eaten by a pinky
By Omri Petitte - pcgamer.com.
@ Play: Doom, doom, doom, doom
DoomRL Is The Free Doom RPG You Need To Play
By Logan Booker - kotaku.com.au.
Winner of the Ascii Dreams Roguelike of the Year 2009: DoomRL
By Andrew Doull - roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.co.uk.
ChaosForge is an independent games developer based in Wrocław, Poland. It was founded by Kornel Kisielewicz, the maker of the popular free game Doom, the Roguelike. The studio is now working on a high production value sci-fi roguelike, Jupiter Hell.
More information on ChaosForge, our logo & relevant media are available here.